Saturday, January 23, 2010

how long?

How long will they grieve the loss of those they love? How long will they search? How long will it take to find their spouse after they separated to find medical treatment? How long will they fear the aftershocks? How long will they go without food or safe water? How long will it take to heal their wounds? How long until the images of buildings crumbling and death on the streets don't haunt them?

How long.....

I ask these questions to myself not wanting a numerical answer, but rather to help myself understand and to not forget. As I hear stories of hope, my soul feels encouraged and my heart almost stops breaking for them. I forget the reality and find myself only wanting to live in the hope. I have to stop and ask myself these questions so I can remember that their journey ahead is long. I often find myself putting an "I" in the questions instead of a "they" and I am positive you have too. It brings me to my knees to pray because I am not sure how I would survive if the "they" turned into an "I".  May it bring you to your knees...

Scott continues to be busy at work keeping the medical teams running. Some of his daily activities include: helping to coordinate interpreters, making sure the doctors eat, bringing them buckets of water to shower, finding blankets for patients, communicating with the international office in Silverdale, taking the night shift to be with the doctors, and eating cans of spaghetti-o's at least once a day.

They have been feeling aftershocks since yesterday. All are safe and non have been strong enough to damage anything. However, given the magnitude of the 7.0 earthquake any shake sends fear into the Haitians. Yesterday they had an aftershock and all the patients ran out of the building causing complete chaos. They ended up sleeping outside the building and spending all of today there as well not wanting to go back in. How long...

Reasons to give thanks:
Lives are being saved. Health is returning. Smiles are returning. MANY supplies are being donated. People are ready to help and give.  They have access to a helicopter to transport patients.

Reasons to pray:
Sleep for the teams. Organization amongst chaos. Wisdom for the doctors. Safety as they travel into Haiti to get more patients. Their running water stopped working yesterday. Pray they can figure out the problem soon.

More reasons to pray:
How long?...

Kel

0 comments: